The mangosteen is a fruit that is widely popular in Asia; it is referred to as the "Queen of Fruits", probably because of the crown-like stem on its top. Its pulp is clean white, sweet and delicious. It is unique. Consuming mangosteen provides us with many types of vitamins and minerals and its fiber also aids bowel movement. As well as enjoying them as fruit, Thais have also used mangosteen in traditional medicine for centuries.
In 1977 researchers of Operation BIM of the Thai Mangosteen Research and Development Centre started a multi-disciplinary study of the properties of mangosteen and found that it contains more than 40 natural derivatives of the Xanthones group. Their research also revealed that for it to give the highest benefits, the concentration of the mangosteen's most effective property, namely GM-1, must be consumed in an appropriate amount. This gives nourishment, and balances the immune system by boosting the production of an appropriate amount of interleukin-2, a bio-molecule produced by white blood cells to increase immunity. It also stems the production of interleukin-1, which is a bio-molecule that causes autoimmune disease, without reducing it to harmful levels. The overall result is that the body can better protect itself from foreign bodies such as dangerous chemicals,fungal, viral and bacterial infections, as well as from cancerous cells. It is also able to reduce the unusual symptoms caused by auto-immune related diseases such as skin problems, psoriasis, diabetes, deteriorated kneecap, allergies, asthma, Parkinson's disease, liver and kidney inflammation. The results of the research carried out by the Operation BIM team have been published in international journals and have been widely publicized in nationaland international media.
What is GM-1?
Xanthones are natural substances found in the Genus Garcinia, particularly in mangosteen. There are more than 40 xanthones, but only a few are beneficial to health. The most active xantone is GM-1 Scientific studies, particularly by the scientists of the Thai Mangosteen Research and Development Center (TMRDC) at Asian Phytoceuticals Public Company Limited (APCO) have established the following activities of the most active xanthone ,GM1 :
1. Growth inhibition and the ability to kill antibiotic-resistant gram-positive bacteria.
2. Anti-inflammatory, 3 times as effective as aspirin.
3. Analgesic (pain relieving) and anti-allergy.
4. Anti-oxidant - preventing heart diseases from LDL cholesterol oxidation.
5. Kills breast cancer cells, leukemia cells, liver cancer cells, kidney cancer cells, stomach/intestinal cancer cells, and lung cancer cells (based on laboratory testing).
6. Kill tuberculosis bacterium (based on laboratory testing).
7. Inhibit the propagation of HIV (based on laboratory testing).
8. Increase the phagocytosis, the cellular process of eliminating foreign matters and bacteria.
9. Inhibit cartilage deterioration and increase bone mass (based on laboratory testing).
1. J. Nat.Prod. 1987 May-June 50(3) 474-8
2. J. Sci. Soc. Thailand, 12(1986) 239-242.
3. Free Radic Res. 2000 Nov;33(5):643-59.
4. Planta Med. 1996 Aug;62(4):381-2
5. Free Radic Res. 1995 Aug;23(2):175-84.
6. J Pharmacol Sci. 2004 May;95(1):33-40.
7. J Med Assoc Thai. 1997 Sep;80 Suppl 1:S149-54.
8. Chem Pharm Bull(Tokyo) 2003 Jul; 51(7):857-9.
9. M.Sc. in Pharmacology Thesis, Chiang Mai University 1998. (Ajchara Chaikaeo)
10. M.Sc. in Organic Chemistry Thesis, Prince of Songkla University 1985.
Although a broad spectrum of pharmacological activities, mangosteen juice containing xanthones have been used, particularly in the United States, to increase the body’s ability to cope with pain, fever, inflammation, diarrhea, bacterial and viral infection, atherosclerosis, aging, arthritis, mouth ulcer, intestinal ulcer, stomach ulcer and cancer but TMRDC have now obtain a more efficacious formulation than the ordinary mangosteen juice. GM-1 in the capsules is mixed with its synergistic herbal extracts making it a more efficacious pharmacological supplements than any others in the world market.